Monday, January 16, 2006

An exploration in four movements

Oh yeah! I completely forgot to mention my change of plans (thanks for the reminder, Janna!).

I had accepted an internship at Vital Theatre Company before I left New York for Christmas, planning to start there when I got back, but while I was home, I actually heard from a second theatre company, Roy Gabay Productions, offering me an internship there. I went for an interview with them the day after I flew back in, and then had to decide which one to take.

Ideally, I would have loved to combine the two into one position--Vital is artistically more what I'll be doing (in terms of educational theatre, community-based), but I'm not planning to run my company as a not-for-profit; I'm planning to incorporate and run a business model. Roy Gabay is a commercial company (Broadway and off-Broadway), so even though the productions themselves will be more slick and professional than what I'll be working with, it'll be a more similar business style.

Like I said, in a perfect world, I would be able to combine them into one position, but I couldn't. Also, in a world where my schedule doesn't revolve around Lourenzo's, I could have actually taken both internships, potentially--neither one was looking for full-time hours. Of course, in a world where I wasn't bound to L's schedule, I probably would have had to be working, actually making money, so I wouldn't be able to work more than half-time anyways.

But, since I had to choose, I decided to go with Roy Gabay. Partly because of the business model; partly because it seems like there are more chances to take initiative and learn as much as I want or can. Chris, the office manager, said that, basically, I'll pick up duties as I discover what I like, and I can choose to shadow a producer, or shadow various elements of a production, sit in on production meetings, etc... so even though my job description at Vital would have included more of the artistic side of things (in some aspects), this one seemed like it has more doors that are there for me to open.

So, I start in the office tomorrow--I'll be working 2 full days a week (spread out over 1 full day and two half-days), and then from there... we'll see, I guess! The internship goes through May--basically until the theatre season is over--and then after that, we'll continue to take this whole thing one step at a time. As if that's not what it's been all along, anyways.


posted by Alida at 6:52 PM
2 comments

2 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
That is awesome! Is this one paid?!?!?

I know we talked about you coming home but secretly I hope that you can stay another year with these guys and get as much experience as possible..... J

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just trying to describe the two possibilities and your choice to Auntie Lucille--I should just have her read this instead! Have prayed you have an exciting, productive day as you start--let us know how it goes.

Love,
Mom

By the way, Desiree (graduated from RMC?) is in the Choral Society--found out last night she knows you.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home