Tuesday, January 24, 2006

There inside your mind

I really, really, really miss doing shows. I've gotten offers in the past several weeks to stage manage a few shows, or to be involved with running crew, or to ASM, and I've wished more than anything that I could say yes. It's been... what? 8 months since I did a show, and I don't think I've gone that long between shows... ever. Last show I did was UBAR, and that was back in May, and somehow, doing the business end of things just doesn't cut it. Yeah, it's a good learning experience, but I need to get back inside a theatre. Preferably on the artistic side of things, but I'd settle for something else, just as long as it got me back into rehearsals and tech week and the routine of it all.

*sigh* And it'll be at least another 8 months before I get to do another show. How am I supposed to handle that?!

The whole concept of taking a year off from hands-on artistic involvement was a great one in theory, but when it comes down to actual fact (and now that I know people who are able to offer me positions, or at least give me places to apply), it feels like a freakin' long time, and it seems so pointless to not be able to take advantage of the opportunities. And yes, I know that there are so many other opportunities, but I hadn't realized how much I depend on that particular creative outlet.

So I'm releasing my creativity in geeky and odd ways. I'm writing lots, and I've actually started writing some fanfics. Please don't tell anyone who's supposed to take me seriously. And actually, it's kinda cool, because it's a different kind of writing and character development. It's a totally different discipline to write within the bounds of an established character with a history, personality, and relationships. In some ways, it's more restrictive, and in other ways, more freeing than creating a brand-new character from scratch.

Anyways. That's my whine of the day. I miss it. I want to be in it.

I walked through a backstage door of a Broadway theatre today, and it was like going home. I haven't been in a true backstage in forever, and today, I just had to pick something up and take it back to the office, but still. That's the heart and soul of the theatre. The seats are an extension of everything that happens everywhere else, and it pains me that I'm just in the seats.

But tomorrow morning, I get to sleep in, so it's all good.


posted by Alida at 10:02 PM
4 comments

4 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess being in the seats, or in the office, is a revelation/learning opportunity in itself.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a fanfic??

Mom

10:17 AM  
Blogger Alida said...

A fanfic is a "fan fiction"--basically, fiction written around the characters of a TV show (or movie, or video game, or whatever). Something like a missing scene from an episode, a rewrite of a season (the way you think it should have happened), an alternate universe, where the characters meet under different circumstances... something like that.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey NY gal,

I enjoy reading your blog... as well as reading your emails from Sweden last year (or was it 2 years ago). Heather has one too, which I read to keep up with her life, sometimes there's more there than what gets said, you know?!

Also, can you send me your street address. Laura sent you your Christmas present and it just now got returned. I got that address off of a fall e-mail, but apparently it wasn't correct enough!

Thanks and keep shining your light for Jesus...

Aunt Joan

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa from one geeky fanfic'er to another and a theatre lover/tv lover... I want details on the fic's you are writing Nanowrimo friend... I just got in to a Screenwriting class today. It is part of a certificate program... my fic is a Veronica Mars fic using the 7 deadly sins and virtues... So excited...
So how's Eliza today? How is her show? have you seen it.. maybe I should just have emailed you.
Janna

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home